Use your GI Bill benefits through the Veterans Administration for computer training and certificationsFlag of the United States of America Use your Montgomery GI Bill Benefits for training  
gi bill
Benefits and Training
veteran administration
Veteran Resources
veteran affairs
Stories of War
Veteran Letters
Frontline Photos
Contact Us
air force
veteran training

Benefits & Training

What is an Accelerated Payment?

An accelerated payment is a lump sum payment of 60% of the tuition and fees for certain high cost, high tech programs. The Veterans Administration will make accelerated payments for one term, quarter, or semester at a time. However, if the program is not offered on a term, quarter or semester basis, the accelerated payment is paid for the entire program. To qualify, you must certify that you intend to seek employment in a high tech industry as defined by the VA. Accelerated payment is paid instead of regular Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (Chapter 30) benefits that you would otherwise receive.

Can I receive accelerated payments for computer training and certification courses?

Yes, as long as the courses have been approved for Veteran Administration benefits.

How much might the VA pay for a computer certification course?

The following is an example of what benefits the Veterans Administration might pay for a student enrolling in our partner site CED Solutions' Ten Certification MCSA/MCSE: Windows 2003 Security & CCNA/CCDA/CCDP/CCNP® Certification Boot Camp.

This example assumes the veteran has not previously used any of their benefit amount. To determine the exact amount of your benefits you must call the Veterans Administration at 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor.

The Veterans Administration pays for 60% of tuition and fees and 100% for certification tests under the Accelerated Payment plan.

Who qualifies for accelerated payments?

Only individuals eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (Chapter 30) qualify for accelerated payments.

What programs qualify for accelerated payment?

Both degree and non-degree programs qualify. You must be enrolled in a program in one of the following categories:

  • Life Science or physical science (but not social science)
  • Engineering (all fields)
  • Mathematics
  • Engineering and science technology
  • Computer specialties
  • Engineering, science and computer management

What industries qualify for accelerated payments?

You must intend to seek employment in one of the following industries:

  • Biotechnology
  • Life Science Technologies
  • Opto-Electronics
  • Computers and Telecommunications
  • Electronics
  • Computer-integrated manufacturing
  • Material Design
  • Aerospace
  • Weapons
  • Nuclear Technology
  • Any other identified advanced technologies in the biennial Science and Engineering Indicators report published by the National Science Foundation

How do I apply for accelerated payments?

Ask your school to include you request for accelerated payment to the Veterans Administration when it sends your enrollment information to VA for processing. Your request must include your certification that you plan to seek employment in the a high technology industry.

How is my education entitlement charged for accelerated payment?

The Veterans Administration will divide your accelerated payment by the amount of your full-time monthly rate (including kickers and additional contributions) and will reduce your entitlement by the resulting number of months and days. If you do not have sufficient entitlement to cover 60% of tuition and fees, the VA will pay you based on your actual remaining entitlement.

When can accelerated payments be made?

Accelerated payments may only be made for terms or other enrollment periods that begin on or after October 1, 2002.

Can school related expenses (such as books, supplies, and living expenses) be counted as tuition and fees for accelerated payments?

No. Only the school's tuition and fees can be considered for accelerated payment.

veteran job